Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
What Should I Do?
When you first notice water damage, knowing what to do can save you a lot of time and money. If not taken care of promptly, water damage can cause more issues like mold. At SERVPRO of Carthage/Joplin, we are here to help 24/7. While you wait for our emergency assistance, keep these ideas close to mind to get a jump start.
- Remove the water. Use a mopping and blotting (a fancy restoration term for patting surfaces, absorbing water while avoiding a rubbing motion) technique.
- Wipe the water. Remove water from wood surfaces, lamps and tabletop items.
- For upholstery and cushions - remove and prop up.
- For furniture - place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting to prevent further floor damage.
- Use your AC. Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying and moisture removal.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting, or they will stain.
- Art - move these items to a safe and dry place.
- Loose items - gather and store appropriately.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (417) 623-1388
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.